Will it cost extra to drive my car abroad?

No – but please note the below before travelling abroad in your vehicle.

You will only be covered for a maximum of 90 days outside of the UK in any one annual period of cover.
The cover shown on your schedule applies throughout the United Kingdom and when your car is in transit within the United Kingdom or between ports in the United Kingdom. In addition, provided that your car is taxed, registered and normally kept in the United Kingdom, and you keep a permanent home in the United Kingdom, this policy gives the minimum cover required by law to use your car in:

  • any country which is a member of the European Union (EU), or;
  • any other country which the Commission of the European Union approves as meeting the requirements of Article (8) of the European Union Directive on Insurance and Civil Liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles (No.72/166/EEC).

Countries include: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (including Monaco), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy (including San Marino and the Vatican City), Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (including Liechtenstein).

Please note – the level of cover provided is the minimum level of cover required by law, and is not the same level of cover you receive when driving within the United Kingdom under this policy. If you need more information, please click on the contact us page for details.

The insurer will also provide cover while your car is being transported by rail, air, inland waterway, the Channel Tunnel or by a recognised sea route to any country where this insurance operates and the journey time doesn’t normally exceed 65 hours.

If your car becomes undriveable as a result of loss or damage covered by this policy, the insurer will also pay the cost of delivering it to your address in the United Kingdom. The insurer will also pay customs duty if your car is damaged and the insurer decides not to return it to this country after you make a claim on your contract.


Keywords: car insurance, abroad, cover, holiday, other country, countries, European, Europe,