Do I need a Green Card if I’m travelling abroad?


With the UK having left the EU, UK citizens are now required to carry a 'Green Card' if they take their own UK insured vehicle into these countries from 1st January 2021.

Green Cards are issued by your insurer, and will contain details like your registration number. Green Cards cannot be downloaded online, so they need to be requested ahead of your travel and posted to your home address.

If you don't carry a 'Green Card' while driving in the EU, you may be breaking the law and, as a result, receive a fine or have your vehicle seized - so it's important to ensure you have this printed document when driving in Europe. Just so you know - even though they’re called “Green Cards” they don’t have to be green any longer, they can be printed on plain white paper.

For the most up-to-date information around driving in the EU after Brexit, visit the Government website.

Was this article helpful?
9 out of 16 found this helpful